Over the last several years Product and Engineering have set a course to improve the accessibility of our platform. This year we’ve worked together with the Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB) in the UK to make sure that their employee benefits platform was fully accessible for users regardless of their visual acuity. Most of the improvements we’ve made were behind the scenes (in the code), but this has made a huge difference for their audience – and for all our other users with visual impairments.
With 12 million disabled people living in the UK alone, it’s just not good enough that over 70% of UK websites do not meet accessibility standards. That’s why we are not only doing our best to improve accessibility on our platform, but working to raise awareness on the topic too.
What we’ve done
- Improved Accessibility Statement – this is usually a dull and difficult to read document. It’s legally required to have certain things mentioned in it but we did our best to make it easier to read.
- NEW Accessibility Awareness page – it’s linked in the Accessibility Statement and available on any scheme.
- NEW Accessibility video explaining why accessibility matters. We are really proud of it as it was done in house by the Product Usability team. Definitely watch it!
Our lovely Marketing team will help us spread the word by preparing:
- Blog post Why accessibility matters every day on our B2B website
- Press release Reward Gateway Partners With Royal National Institute of Blind People to Launch New Accessibility Statement
- Email and social media campaigns.
What can I do?
You can help us spread the word! Even if you just share this video or blog post, it all helps. The more people we reach and the more awareness we can create on this important topic, the more we can hopefully increase the level of support across the web.
Learn more about our Engineering teams and accessibility work at rg,co/careers